Your child is enrolled in a course that is eligible for "dual enrollment" with JCCC. What does that mean? that means that they are able to take the course for JCCC credit. Why would and they want to do this? THey can earn 5 hrs college credit and many schools will accept that as a lab science credit, usually a required course for liberal arts degrees.
Enrollment is key, and they kids have several steps to take. First is to apply to JCCC for admission. https://www.jccc.edu/admissions/apply/
Next step is placement testing. The kids need to have a reading requirement and a math requirement.
ACT Math 23 or appropriate ACCUPLACER score
ACT Reading 19 or appropriate ACCUPLACER score or a transcript that shows a 2.8 high school GPA .
The reading is NEW this year. Seniors have likely taken the ACT, juniors will likely need to use their GPA. Mrs. Etherton, counselor here at north, can help get the students a transcript that will show their gpa. For ACT scores, kids need to log into College board accounts and have their scores sent to JCCC.
This year due to covid, the testing center is requiring appointments scheduled in advance. This is what is going to sneak up and get us, because in my 9 years teaching college chem, my experience is that MOST put the testing off until the last week, which this year has the potential for disaster with kids being unable to get a testing spot. Here is the link for testing information https://www.jccc.edu/admissions/early-college/high-school-concurrent-enrollment/high-school-testing.html
There are practice problems on the testing site for the kids to go through to prep for the testing.
Once they have done their placement testing/filed their ACT scores, they can enroll. My CRN numbers are:
Chem 124 Gen Chem lecture CRN 83090 4 hr
Chem 125 Gen Chem lab CRN 83086 1 hr
The college is having an information night:
- Aug 24 – JCCC main campus, Nerman Museum, 2nd floor in the Hudson Auditorium
Here are some important reminders for your College Now students:
- APPLY - Remind your new College Now students to apply for admission early if this is their first time taking College Now courses. The application priority submission deadline is Aug 27 to guarantee their admission application will be processed before the enrollment deadline.
- TEST – Remind students that they need to take the JCCC placement test for courses that require testing prior to enrolling. If they had their ACT scores sent directly to JCCC, they will need to contact Testing Services to have their scores entered into our enrollment system. See College Now Testing Information for more details.
- ENROLL – Let students know that enrollment in College Now classes will begin soon. They can view their high schools class schedule online!
- PAY – Payment is due at the time of enrollment. Excel in CTE courses are only available to residents of Kansas. If you have a student who are being charged for an Excel in CTE eligible course, please email me so that we can get it corrected. Residents of Missouri will be charged tuition.
Fall College Now enrollment will begin on Aug 23! Last day to enroll is Sept 17
If you haven't taken the Accuplacer but meet the placement requirements above: Request a placement waiver. Attach documentation to show how you meet the placement requirement (e.g., ACT score report, high school transcript for GPA requirement, etc.). Testing Services will enter a placement waiver on your account and you will not have to take the Accuplacer test. You will still need to enroll in the JCCC class once you receive an email reply that the waiver has been entered.
If you need to take the Accuplacer, Go to the testing center scheduling page https://jccc.libcal.com/calendar/testingservices?cid=13063&t=m&d=0000-00-00&cal=13063&inc=0 And sign up. The testing center phone number is 913-469-4439
Accuplacer page for practice https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/student/practice